The Social Action Fund supports important initiatives that fulfill the following missions:
1. To address the needs of Toronto’s downtown Jewish community
2. To help build an Israel consistent with our values of fairness, egalitarianism and social justice
3. To protect communities facing discrimination or anti-semitism.
By giving as a community, we have been able to access and enable important work that many of us could not support on our own. Also, through our close associations with recipients and our rigorous tracking, we ensure that initiatives are achieved and goals are fulfilled. This past year, we supported:
- Out Of The Cold: providing core funding to provide food and shelter for Toronto’s homeless
- Jewish Family & Child: funding to support their community seder program
- Downtown Jewish Community School: funding participation in the UJA’s Makom program to sponsor shinshinim
- Hands across the Sands: support for a community group (that includes Narayever members) dedicated to sponsoring refugees in Toronto
- Mazon Canada: funding work with the Toronto District School Board to provide fall and winter fruits to students in partnership with local fruit growers
- Ve’ahavta: support for an outreach van that provides comfort to the homeless
- Ziv Canada: small-scale funding to multiple individuals and often little-known organizations that provide Tzedakah to those in need in Israel
- Eilat Gulf Rangers: funding youth training in environmental stewardship, including group SCUBA dives removing garbage polluting the Red Sea.
- Friends of the Arava: Donation to a scholarship fund to enable qualified Middle Eastern applicants to attend the Arava Institute
- IT Works: provides information technology training for Israeli minorities, low-income, unemployed and unskilled members of Israeli society
- Krembo Wings: support for a youth movement that involves special need Jewish and Arab families
- Leket: donation to their work of delivering 16,000 meals for families in need
- BINA: funding for a coordinator for the Jerusalem Secular Yeshiva who will manage participants living in underprivileged Jerusalem neighbourhoods
- IsraAid: Funding to support medical treatment to Syrians affected by the Syrian war
To contribute to our fund, please make a donation through CanadaHelps or contact our synagogue office at 416.927.0546.